Another delicious creation of mine! :)
As I am vegetarian I use an abundance of vegetables in my eggrolls, but feel free to add ground chicken, beef or chopped shrimp into your eggrolls if you eat meat.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! :)
Finding delicious, yet healthy vegetarian dishes can sometimes be difficult. So, being vegetarian, I thought I would share my favourite recipe that I have created, with all of you!
Vegetarian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Portobello Mushrooms - 1 per person
White or Sweet Potatoes (If they are large potatoes 1 potato per 2 mushrooms, for small potatoes, 1 potato per 1 mushroom)
Spinach- 1-2 cups (I prefer fresh, if using frozen, defrost and squeeze all liquid out prior to starting the recipe)
Breadcrumbs- 2-3 Tablespoons per mushroom
Parmesan Cheese- 2-3 Tablespoons per mushroom
1-1 1/2 Clove Grated Garlic
1/4-1/2 Diced Onion (Put as much onion as you would like)
1/2 Teaspoon of Paprika
Salt & Pepper (Again, as much as you would like)
1/4-1/3 Cup Skim Milk
1-2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1. Preheat the oven to 365 degrees. Oven temperatures vary so go up or down 5 degrees depending on your oven, if needed.
2. Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel until majority of dirt comes off.
3. Spray baking sheet with PAM cooking spray or brush canola oil onto baking sheet. Place mushrooms, bottom down, on sheet. Brush the sides and inside of the mushroom with canola oil.
4. Prep all ingredients that need to go into the potato filling prior to cooking the potatoes. Chop the onion. Grate the garlic. If using fresh spinach, wash and chop. If using frozen, defrost, remove all liquid and chop. Grate the parmesan.
5. In a small pan cook the onions with a little bit of canola oil until they are slightly soft and translucent.
6. Peel, rinse and dice potatoes. Place the potatoes into a large pot and fill the pot with cold water and 1 teaspoon salt. The water should be 1 inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until they are soft and fluffy.
7. Drain water from potatoes and rinse with cold water to remove starch. Put the potatoes back into the pot. Slightly mash the potatoes, add milk and butter and finish mashing. Add the onion, garlic, spinach, salt, pepper and paprika. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
8. Distribute the potato filling evenly into each mushroom. You can put as little or as much filling as you desire. Brush the top of the potato filling with a little canola oil to keep it from burning.
9. Put mushrooms in oven and bake for 10 minutes. At this point the potato should be starting to brown and set and the mushroom should be starting to soften and brown.
10. After 10 minutes remove from oven. Turn temperature down to 350 degrees. Let mushrooms cool for a few minutes. Brush with a little more oil. Add the breadcrumb topping and lightly drizzle a little more oil on top to help the breadcrumbs crisp up and brown. Bake this for 8-10 minutes.
11. At this point the mushrooms should be soft, the potato filling should be set and the breadcrumbs should be crisp. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of each mushroom. You can turn the oven off as the residual heat will melt the cheese. Bake mushrooms for 3-6 minutes longer to melt and crisp up the parmesan.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do! :)
Healthy Strawberry Shortcake
1 1/4 cup cake & pasty flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons honey or agave
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
4 tablespoons low-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
1/4 cups canola or vegetable oil
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup low-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Sift together cake & pastry flour, whole wheat flour, and baking powder into a large bowl. Add sugar and stir together. Cut in butter cubes using a pastry cutter or a fork until butter is the size of a pea.
3. Add the yogurt, oil, beaten egg and milk. Stir all ingredients together just until the mixture becomes crumbly.
4. Knead the mixture in the bowl a few times until it all sticks and holds together.
5. Turn kneaded dough onto a floured surface. Roll the dough out into a 8-by-10 inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 12 equal squares and transfer onto a greased baking sheet.
6. Bake the shortcakes until they have slightly risen and lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes then transfer onto wire cooling rack.
7. For Filling: Mix strawberries with sugar in a medium bowl.
8. Whip skim milk with stand or hand mixer until lightly whipped and fluffy, should take a few minutes. Add yogurt and whip for one more minute.
9. To serve shortcakes, spoon the berries and the juice onto the bottom shortcake, top with the cream and put top shortcake on. Add one more spoonful of cream to the top.
AND VOILA! A healthy, but delicious strawberry shortcake!
I hope y’all enjoy this recipe, I know that I sure did!